Monday, November 28, 2011

Day 11

Day 11:

How do you define Amazing? Phenomenal? Spectacular? Wonderful? These are all words we use to describe things in English, but they are not enough to describe this vacation. In fact, this has been more than just a vacation. It was a reunion and possibly even a spiritual journey. I felt a sense of belonging in a way and relief that I was finally in a place that I was supposed to be at the moment. These were my thoughts today, as we made our way back from the middle of Taiwan in Changhua to Taipei. I am having a very calm night now and trying NOT to think about dinner (I've eaten more on this trip than I normally eat in a month).

In this blog I'm not putting pictures because even pictures can't describe this journey. I've been on the edge of tears at many times during this trip, as I contemplated the events of May 11 and how this trip just happened to be rescheduled for a time when we give thanks for the many people who have come across our paths and for the events that shape who we are and how we perceive this world around us. We gain perspective by how life shapes our hearts and minds. Life is NOT what we make it, really. Life is a compilation of all that happens and how we respond to the people and events.

I have developed a love for the people of Taiwan and for how they truly live on a daily basis. I've seen people's artwork that shows a passion of spirit and mind. I've seen their ability to survive harrowing traffic and not really worry about it all the time. I've seen elderly people dancing in public places on the weekends and to overcome the stresses of the week rather than spending the weekend worrying about what the next week had in store. All in all, it's been truly life altering in many ways. It's like climbing to the top of a mountain to take a mental picture of the beauty that lies at the top, hidden from everyone except those who ventured to climb (or to ride in a van) to take in the precious moments.

I am not sure when I'll have time to write a Day 12 entry, so to those of you in Taiwan who might be reading this, I want to express my heartfelt thanks for all that you've done for me. For those of you in the U.S. who have ever thought it would be wonderful to take an adventure somewhere...regardless of where...I say take it and not worry about the pocket book. Give up some other things to experience the adventure...the Journey is so much more than the destination. In this case, the destination and the journey have collided in a wonderful way. Yes, there have been some adjustments in thinking that I've had to make, but it's all been worth it. My world has expanded, and I hope to continue expanding it from this day forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment