Friday, November 18, 2011

Day 2

Day 2 AM

I had a difficult time sleeping last night because my body thought it was supposed to be up and because I had slept a lot on the plane. I did, however, lull off to sleep somewhere around 3 am and got up around 6 at first and then finally for good at 7 am. I am doing surprisingly well, and so far this morning has been interesting. I wanted to get my bearings, so I went out for a walk around the block after waiting an extremely long time at KFC for my complimentary breakfast...interesting way to provide the free meal without actually doing the work. Not the best food in the world, but it was interesting to eat an omelette sandwich with a definite Asian taste to it. Anyway, I really enjoyed the experience of just sitting and watching the happenings on the street as I waited and waited and waited and finally got my sandwich.

I really enjoyed walking the streets of downtown New Taipei before the stores opened, getting a lot of pictures, and enjoying walking (after a long airplane flight). I'm really impressed by the mingling of old and new style buildings, and the walk signs here are absolutely wonderful (little animated guy walking). So far I haven't been able to get into any good conversations because I think I'm the only white guy walking around downtown and people seem a little apprehensive about talking
to me or even looking at me...but there is still time. I guess if I were to move here, it would benefit me greatly to learn Chinese...hehe...ya think?

Anyway, one cool thing I found in my walkabout was a lot of English language schools, most notably David's English Center, which is right around the corner from my hotel. How cool is that?

I am really impressed with the size of some of the buildings here. My brother wants a panoramic picture from one of the tall buildings, and I think I've found the one to take it from. Of course, I am definitely interested in taking in the scenery from Taipei 101 one of these days, but I need to figure my way around the area. My goal is to spend as little money as possible but get maximum enjoyment out of this trip. So far I haven't had to spend a lot of extra money, which is cool. I am fortunate to have a lot of friends here, so I'm looking forward to seeing as many as possible. Who knows, I may come back and bring the kiddo with me next time if he's not in school. Heck, even if he is in school, this would be a good experience for him.

Anyway, I will be posting links to lots of pictures on Facebook soon. I wish you all a wonderful, wonderful day/night/whatever.

No comments:

Post a Comment