Sunday, November 27, 2011

Day 9

Day 9:

I'm writing this on day 10 because the day was long, and it was late when I got around to getting on the computer. Anyway, day 9 started out pretty slow. I ate my breakfast at the hotel, which was pretty darn good compared to eating KFC for breakfast. After breakfast, Ricky showed me around a few more places before we had lunch and made our way north to Changhua to meet up with Shannon, Notti, Abi, and Jane. The drive was about 2 1/2 hours, so I slept the whole time so that I could be more rested for the long night of seeing new things and meeting new people. I was thoroughly impressed with Notti, Jane, and Tina's (Jane's sister...also a former IALC student) family. What amazing people they are.

We went to a botanical garden where we had tea and took some pictures and then went to Notti and Jane's family factory (they make egg cakes...kind of like an egg-based tortilla or a flat omelette). After meeting up at the factory, we went to dinner at a place that specializes in Lamb with a Hot Pot (a big boilling pot that you put meat and vegetables in to cook them at your table). It was such a wonderful dinner...I learned a new way to cook lamb, so I was excited...it's definitely something I can do at home...Yay!!!

After dinner we had tea at the factory then they took me to the family shrine, which is in progress right now but already very beautiful. It was amazing to get the story behind the parts of the shrine. I have gone through a LOT of shrines here, but this was the first time I was able to learn what the parts represent. It was a cool experience. I've decided I really like meeting the parents of our former students because there is always a back story behind the students' lives that we will never know until we visit them in their environment. Notti, Jane, and Tina's dad is an amazing man with a passion for what he does and says. It was a pleasure to listen to him talking to the many people around him. I had no idea what he said (until my translators let me know), but it was truly an amazing experience.

I came home to the family home exhausted but amazingly happy to have met some absolutely amazing hosts.

No comments:

Post a Comment